Who owns a piece of property?

  • The Recorder's Office cannot determine ownership. However, the last deed of record can be provided. It is helpful to have a legal description of the property being inquired about. Subscription to the NDRIN website may also be helpful.
How do I transfer property?
  • In most cases, a deed or other document will need to be drawn up to transfer property. It is best to contact a real estate attorney or a title company to do so. The Recorder's office does not have forms available and cannot assist with the legalities of such documents. North Dakota is a race to record state.
How do I obtain a copy of my deed?
  • Request a copy of the deed either in person, by phone, mail or email. It is helpful to have the legal description of the property. Copy fees are $1 per page. A certified copy is $5 for the first page, $2 for each additional page. To mail or email a document is an additional $3 fee. Payment is required up front.
How do I get a copy of my divorce decree?
  • Contact the Clerk of District Courts in the Courthouse at 701-227-3184 or the county court in which the divorce occurred.
How do I get a copy of my birth certificate?
  • North Dakota birth records are only available from the North Dakota Division of Vital Records in Bismarck. Copies may be requested online, through the mail, or in person. Contact Vital Records in the state of birth if outside North Dakota.